Monday 30 September 2013

It is amazing how far you can actually go back to with today's genealogy software available. Naturally, you have to put in many hours of research in order to be successful and it also helps a great deal if you can find that long lost relation who has been working for over 20 years on tracking his family tree. And that is what I came across, a 2nd cousin living in Tasmania (John Drake Farrar) whose Grandad (Jonah Drake Farrar - b: 1875  d: 1941) was the younger brother to my Grandad (John Richard Farrar - b: 1869  d: 1947).

John Drake Farrar
John Richard Farrar


John Drake (pictured top photo above) emigrated to Australia with his family in 1959 from Batley in Yorkshire. He was 16 years old at the time.


John Drake and I have been working together for the last 12 months and I have started to write a book to record the information for future generations of Farrars to share.


1 comment:

  1. Hi; I am the Administrator of the Farrar DNA project at https://www.familytreedna.com/project-join-request.aspx?group=Farrar

    I have a huge data base of Farrars, mostly American but some English, thanks to Stephen Farrer, who spent 30 years researching the line.

    It would be great if there were some members from Australia and New Zealand.

    I have identified four lineages of Farrar, Each one has it's own haplogroup andplace of origin in England. From Yorkshire, to Norfolk, to the Midland Counties.The name is occupational in origin, derived from ferror, a smith or rather a maker of steel as opposed to a black smith, and the name was found in those parts of England that have large deposits of iron ore.

    I would be glad to share what I have.

    William Farrar farrardna at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete